Onam is a popular Indian festival. It is especially celebrated with great enthusiasm all over the Southern state of Kerala. Food is the most important part of this festival. Various kinds of special food items of Kerala are prepared and served together on a plate which is known as the ‘Onam Sadhya’. Curries have always been a special part of Indian cuisine. Kerala dishes are no exception.
Vegetable Theeyal which is sure to take your taste-buds on a delightful ride. The most important ingredient in this recipe is the coconut and spice mixture which gives this dish an excellent aroma and a finger licking taste.
1. Cut murungaikai, kathirikai, tomato into pieces.
2. Soak tamarind in water and prepare exract.
3. Grate coconut.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan.
5. Add peppercorns, coriander seeds, red chilli, fenugreek, fry and grind with coconut to a paste.
6. Heat oil in a pan.
7. Add mustard, curry leaves and when mustard splutters, add murungaikai, brinjal, tomato, fry for a few minutes.
8. Add turmeric powder, tamarind extract, jaggery, salt and cook till raw smell subsides.
9. Add ground paste, mix well and when contents have boiled well, switch off the stove.