Don't have an account? Sign up
Vazhappo cherupayar Thoran – Tasty and Healthy thoran dish made using Banana Flower and cherupayar. Vazhachundu (Vazha Poov) is the Malayalam name for the purple flower of the Banana Plant, also known as Banana Heart.
1) Clean the van payar well and get rid of the unwanted stuff from it.
2) Cook it separately with water in a pressure cooker and make sure u don’t overcook it.
3) Remove the first 3 – 4 outer covering of the vazhappoo and chop the rest very finely as u do for thoran.
4) Add coconut oil and turmeric powder into the above chopped kodappan and mix well the whole thing using your hands to remove the kodappan’s serum.
5) Place together the grated coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and curry leaves in a mixer bowl and run it once to make it into a coarse form.
6) Mix it along with the chopped kodappan mixture.
7) Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and sauté dry red chillies and curry leaves.
8) Add the kodappan mixture and mix well.
9) Cover and cook on a low flame.
10) After sometime, remove the cover and add the cooked cherupayar into this and mix well.
11) Continue cooking without the lid on, till done, making sure that it doesn’t get mashed.