Chembu Curry is a typical Kerala dish that is served as part of an offering, along with kanji (rice gruel), muthira puzhukku (horse gram stir-fry) and mango pickle, during kumbha bharani festival in Chettikulangara, Kerala. It is so easy to prepare and makes a great accompaniment with rice/ kanji. Here’s the recipe:
Chembu – 1/2 kg
Coconut- 1 cup (scraped)
Turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
Green Chilli – 2
Garlic- 1 small part
Cumin seed-1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves-1 stem
Dry red chilli – 2
Mustard – 1/4 teaspoon
Coco0nut Oil- 1 tablespoon
Water – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
• Peel and cut the Chembu into small pieces.
• Cook it in a pressure cooker with enough water, salt, and turmeric.
• Blend coconut, cumin seed and green chilli,garlic pods very thoroughly.
• Add this to the cooked chembu(vegitable) and add required water.
• Boil for 1 minute.
• Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard.
• Add red chilli and curry leaves.
• Fry for a minute and add this into the curry.